HS2 is one of the largest and most damaging infrastructure projects our country has ever seen.
Boris Johnson has recently made the announcement that HS2 will go ahead. This is devastating news for our natural world and in this time of climate emergency we are urging him to rethink his postition.
There is a peaceful yet active resistance campaign to HS2 that needs your help.
Stand4Trees brings together several groups concerned about the environmental impact of HS2 and seeks to draw attention to the destruction, hold HS2 to account and peacefully protest this costly and damaging project.
We have these key aims:
- To call upon the government to rethink HS2 and immediately halt further destruction and biodiversity loss.
- To protect our water and our wildlife from further unnecessary destruction by peaceful direct action.
- To bear witness to crimes against nature and hold HS2 account.
We urgently need your help
Update: Remote actions you can take during the lockdown
This info has been copied from this Google document created by email@example.com (please email them to add any information to their cloud doc)
Please uphold XR’s Principles and Values and the Rebel Agreement when engaging in these remote actions. Please consider that the individuals involved will all be navigating this stressful and emotional period and for some, their livelihoods and futures will be very uncertain.
There are four woods that Stop HS2 thinks are in immediate danger: Crackley, Broadwells, Birches and Cubbington. These woods are in the vicinity of Kenilworth.
At this moment, those who would like to participate in actions from home can call or email the HS2 helpline and make the following complaints:
- As of this writing (24th March) Scotland and Wales have now halted all major construction sites to comply with the physical distancing required. In England, Crossrail has also shut down. HS2 bosses should comply as well.
- HS2 workers are travelling across the UK to compounds (For example, there were people from Scotland to Cardiff working on fencing on Monday 23rd March)
- HS2 plan to fell ancient woodland in bird nesting season, when it is illegal to disturb nesting birds according to Wildlife Countryside Act 1981. HS2 have already been clearing trees and hedgerows and disturbing nests, in full knowledge that what they are doing is illegal.
- You may also want to refer to this letter written by Robert Butler MP on 23rd March.
HS2 Helpline: Tel 08081 434 434
You can also email the Prime Minister directly to express the above points. Here is Extinction Rebellion’s letter that they sent today.
There are 4 subcontractors that the Stop HS2 campaign have reported seeing on site, although we have been unable to independently verify their participation in HS2 work. You could consider contacting these subcontractors to express concern for their employees and their activities:
New actions added 24/3/20 pm!!!!
Here is a list of Contractors working on HS2 who you can phone or email.
This is the crowdfunder page to support the Stop HS2 campaign
The petition to Repeal the 2013 and 2017 HS2 Hybrid Bills halting all HS2 works immediately.
Email the HS2 Minster, Andrew Stephenson: Andrew.Stephenson_MP@dft.gov.uk You could use this letter as your starting point.
You could email your MP, perhaps using this letter as your starting point.
Follow, like and support the Facebook pages for the sites:
Save Cubbington Woods – Stop
HS2 Crackley Woods HS2 Protection Camp.
Wendover Active Resistance Camp
Save the Colne Valley
Support the camps to defend the land and all life on it! Find out more here: https://stand4trees.uk
Here are a list of Twitter accounts that might be of interest:
New action added 26/3/20
Email or call SERVEST security (part of Atalian Servest)
Tel: 0800 614 678
Their own documents state: “…we intend to produce a positive impact on the environment through the adoption of sustainable and ethical practices. The pursuance of these objectives is achieved through our meeting of the requirements of the international standard ISO 14001.”
HIGH COURT ENFORCEMENT GROUP,.https://hcegroup.co.uk/